Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Australia Day!

Australia Day "celebrates" the First Fleet (of Europeans) to arrive and settle the continent on January 26, 1788. It's kind of an awkward holiday, much like Columbus Day in the States. Most Australians don't think much of it; they enjoy a day off work, hit the beach, have a few drinks, and watch some fireworks. On the other hand, many thoughtful academics look at the day as a shameful celebration of the imperial takeover of an occupied land, and the subsequent slaughter of its indigenous people. 

The highlight of my day was the firework show at an absolutely packed Darling Harbour. It was the most incredible, extravagant, beautiful display I've ever seen. Lasting at least 20 minutes, the fireworks were launched from a floating dock in the middle of the harbor and were accompanied by a beautiful soundtrack and a great lighting set up. The best and classiest fireworks I've ever seen in my life.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I was just taking it all in with my eyeballs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment